Get Help Today

(215) 972-8000

FREE Case Evaluation

If I Am Involved In A Car Accident, What Should I Do?

Most of us consider ourselves to be safe drivers who obey traffic laws, avoid speeding and cherish life. However, regardless of how safe we may be behind the wheel, there could be other drivers on the road who may not obey traffic laws and put us at risk of a serious car accident. No one wants to be in a wreck, but if you are involved a car accident, it is important to know what to do next.

In Pennsylvania, if you are involved in a car accident, regardless of whether it involving a parked vehicle, another moving vehicle or a person walking, you are required to stop, remain at the scene of the accident, exchange any insurance information where possible, and, if someone has suffered injuries, provide the injured party reasonable assistance. If, in a panic, the driver of a car involved in a wreck leaves the scene of the accident, that driver may potentially face a hit-and-run criminal charge. Thus, regardless of the nature of the accident and the severity of the car crash, it is very important to remain at the scene of the accident until the authorities arrive and deem it appropriate for you to leave.

The police must be called and informed of an accident if someone has been injured or killed. If there are no injuries and the accident is minor in nature, the police may not respond. In a car accident where one has suffered injuries, a police report will likely be filed. Getting a copy of the police report for your records and reference may be helpful.

Additionally, at the scene of the accident, where possible, it is important to exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved. Information exchange involves getting insurance policy information, their names, license numbers, plate numbers, passenger information, and documenting the type of the car or cars involved in the accident. Furthermore, it is important to document the damage sustained to the vehicle. Taking photographs immediately following an accident will help an insurance adjuster.

If medical treatment was rendered, it is extremely important to keep track of what medical treatment was received and the nature of one’s injuries. In instances where serious injuries have been suffered you may not be able to gather all the information. In such cases, it is essential to first and foremost seek necessary medical care. For some, contacting a Philadelphia car accident attorney may help.

Source:¬†FindLaw, “Your Philadelphia Car Accident: The Basics,” Accessed December 8, 2014

The attorneys at The Colleran Firm handle serious injury cases caused by health care provider negligence and medical malpractice in Pennsylvania & New Jersey.

Connect With Us:

The Colleran Firm

2005 Market Street # 1940
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 972-8000
Simple Share Buttons